cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Disappointing Shopping Experience

Babymaker
Nailing It

Soooo I feel bad but I want to have a moan about my Debenhams experience today...

I popped into TC store to pick up the sample- I haven’t been able to get any since Christmas so I was looking forward to it. I asked at the main perfume counter... after being ignored for a while. Neither staff knew anything about it but said to try Dior... I popped over and the lady on Dior was lovely she looked at her messages and told me it was now next week. This was fine. I still wanted to treat myself to a new perfume so pottered back over.

The three visible members of staff all deliberately seemed to ignore me even when I asked for help. I appreciate I look fairly ‘off duty’ today but it left me feeling pretty rubbish. Why should I have to look a certain way to be deemed a suitable customer? I love buying beauty products but today’s experience reminded me why I go to the same staff and counters who actually speak to me like a human being 😔

Had a much experience at Murad in Selfridges and Boots perfume counter but why do staff seem to make these judgements?

Does anyone else ever feel like this?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Disappointing Shopping Experience

nzborn
Beauty Crush

YesI  have felt the same, a couple of weeks ago l bused 3 hours into London to go to an event paid £50 but wasn't looking my best as l approached with my walking frame and no makeup l was challenged by a security guard wanting to know what l wanted l said l was going inside, where he said l pointed, tell me the name.l was furious then he didn't point out that they had a ramp so l went up the stairs and gave my ticket to the ladies who also didn't offer any assistance.I was the day from **bleep**. So what we look like shouldn't matter or if we have a disability

@Babymaker wrote:

Soooo I feel bad but I want to have a moan about my Debenhams experience today...

I popped into TC store to pick up the sample- I haven’t been able to get any since Christmas so I was looking forward to it. I asked at the main perfume counter... after being ignored for a while. Neither staff knew anything about it but said to try Dior... I popped over and the lady on Dior was lovely she looked at her messages and told me it was now next week. This was fine. I still wanted to treat myself to a new perfume so pottered back over.

The three visible members of staff all deliberately seemed to ignore me even when I asked for help. I appreciate I look fairly ‘off duty’ today but it left me feeling pretty rubbish. Why should I have to look a certain way to be deemed a suitable customer? I love buying beauty products but today’s experience reminded me why I go to the same staff and counters who actually speak to me like a human being 😔

Had a much experience at Murad in Selfridges and Boots perfume counter but why do staff seem to make these judgements?

Does anyone else ever feel like this?

we still have money to purchase.  

Hermagesty
Nailing It

You're definitely not alone. I always feel so awkward even looking at the beauty counters, feels like the staff are either ignoring you or giving you funny looks... and as for the monthly sample... Don't even get me started. I don't even bother anymore! I Just shop online now which is a real shame because you can't test things that way. 😪

DJMcCumiskey
Beauty Icon

So sorry to hear you've had a bad experience whilst out shopping @Babymaker  You'd think staff would be tripping over themselves to help?  Did you end up getting your perfume?  😊

Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences too @nzborn @Hermagesty  ☹️

I think at one one time or another we've all had that happen.  It's like in all walks of life, you get nice people and you get miserable people.  I do think though that if you're in a customer facing job role you should plaster a smile on your face even if you don't feel like it and you should also treat everyone with the same respect and courtesy no matter how they're dressed etc.  I do find that I seem to get better service and get treated better if I'm wearing makeup and am abit more put together instead of being casual, and that's wrong.  

Babymaker
Nailing It

@DJMcCumiskey I feel bad even moaning about it but I think it just knocked my confidence a bit today as I felt old, fat and frumpy anyway after a sleepless night with baby and it felt like they confirmed that 🙄. I would usually just shrug it off. I think staff shouldn’t be so quick to judge... I might’ve looked a mess but their indifference meant that I wandered down to Boots and spent  £70 on some perfume there instead. It might not be my biggest ever spend but the lost loyalty will add up. There is a lovely lady on the perfume section in town so I’ll just go there in the future- it’s just more of a hassle taking the baby into town.

nzborn
Beauty Crush

So So Wrong

nzborn
Beauty Crush

l really hope someone from Debs Head office read some of our posts, but at the back of my mind, how so many stores will be closing at the end of the year and so so many people will lose their jobs many who will have families to support.

DJMcCumiskey
Beauty Icon

Don't ever feel bad about moaning about it @Babymaker , you deserve to have a moan if someone has made you feel bad.  I agree that if you are feeling bad about yourself like that anyhow and then something like that happens it just makes you feel even worse and really spoils your day.  

I remember going to an Estée Lauder counter once and had no makeup on, and she couldn't have acted more like she couldn't be bothered serving me if she'd tried.  Really really off putting.  I don't know why people on makeup/skincare counters behave like that?  Surely they should be trained in making everyone feel special and enjoy giving out advice to make people feel good about themselves....they'd definitely get more sales that way.  

Glad you managed to get your perfume!  😊

nzborn
Beauty Crush

l once worked in retail clothing a nice upmarket brand,a couple came in with some special needs say Down syndrome and he pretended that he was going to buy her something and l played along and gave them the full service we all loved it.