cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying without buying?

Crystal
Winging It

Hi, I am sure I cannot be alone in spending masses of money only to find the product does not suit my skin and causes actual problems.  I live in a rural area which means access to stores is extremely limited, my nearest store (Debenhams or any other store!) is at least 1.5 hour drive away which means that when I visit it is extremely disappointing that they only have limited counters and limited products within a range.  How does one get to sample a product that one would love to purchase without running a huge risk of purchasing the product and then having to try to resolve the issues?  For example, Dior have currently changed all their cleaners and toners, I would like to try one of the products but it is not stocked at the Dior counter in my local Debenhams and if I purchase the product online I run the risk of not being able to use it due to any reactions?  Beauty heroes are different things to different people, so how can we try before we buy please ?  Thank you for anyone who might be able to help with this issue.  

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Trying without buying?

Elle18
Total Glossip

Hey

I am totally the same so I email the company and ask if they would very Kindly send you a sample- explain your situation and most oblige !

x

Crystal
Winging It

Thanks Elle, glad there is someone out there just like me!  Unfortunately, Dior are not that obliging as they are based in France.  You do get samples if you order a product which I am happy to do with my other products but and it is a big but, they will only send you the samples they wish not the ones you need!  I am hopeful that because I do shop at Debenhams online and the only Debenhams within any distance is a long drive away, that perhaps someone in the Debenhams team might be able to help, long shot but worth a try.  I do appreciate you responding. thanks.  

Elle18
Total Glossip

thats a good idea!!! Maybe see if anyone you know knows of anyone that works there or here etc! let me know how you get on!

Highlighted

Fiona_Jayne
Nailing It

Have a look at Feel Unique's website. They have a service where once a month you can choose 5 samples and only pay the £3.95 shippinh. There's a wide range of products so it could be a good way to find some new favourites Smiley Happy

https://www.feelunique.com/pick-n-mix/

Elle18
Total Glossip

Such a brilliant idea! Thank you!! @Fiona_Jayne

MissJuls
Nailing It

Yes I know your agony I’m fairly rural it’s 12 miles to the town and as I’m getting older (40 next year 😱) my skin is changing a lot  I found Liz Earle does complimentary facials using their products and I’ve been using them since and glowing for a change but I do find when ever I ask for a sample no one seems to have any 😤 I will try emailing some but I doubt I will get anywhere as they will have to post them!🤷🏼‍♀️

Crystal
Winging It

That is a good idea, and one worth trying.  I do find that if you approach a lot of the counters in the stores they are either reluctant or say they do not have samples.  I did visit a counter in a store last week and found the assistant most unhelpful in either giving information on the product or any offer to try it on my face or sample it.  As the product was expensive, I would have thought that as the name of the game is sales, that the assistant might have been a little more forthcoming.  I also struggled to get even a foundation sample which they advertised they gave so you could try the colour/product - such a pity as I could have been an excellent customer!  

DJMcCumiskey
Beauty Icon

@Fiona_Jayne I've had a few samples off feel unique a while back, and then totally forgot about it!  Thanks for reminding me about it again...I've just ordered some bits now! 😊

MrsD
Total Glossip

I didn’t know about feel unique but will certainly look now. I too have very reactive skin and have to watch what I use. Again, I am in the country and have to go 14 miles to a small town with not much choice. In the past I have bought some things from QVC so that I could return if not suitable.

Small samples would be useful, it doesn’t have to be much. MAC are very good for that (80 miles from me!)