cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Period spots help!!!

foodvslipstick
Getting Lippy

Hello ladies,

I would like to know how can I feel better when my skin during the period week can be healthier.

I feel it burning, itching and has spots and I feel terrible!

I've tried hydrating and cleaning masks, but they don't work so much.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks Heart

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Period spots help!!!

Ashli
High Brow

For some of us, the signal that our period is coming is not a grumpy mood or weight gain, but those break-outs on our chin, nose and forehead. Break-outs are due to hormone fluctuations that make our skin oilier and clog pores. The thing to do to help control break-outs on your period is to use good skin care all month long. Use a cleanser every day that has benzoyl peroxide in it. If blackheads are a problem, use a product that has salicylic acid also. The most important thing is to keep your pores clean so they don’t get clogged with extra oil and dirt. When starting a new cleansing routine, you might need to start slowly by washing once daily then moving up to twice daily once your skin gets used to the new ingredients. This usually takes about a week. Sometimes prescription strength medications are needed to help control breakouts, so if you are not having any luck with any over-the-counter products, see your healthcare provider for advice.

Highlighted

Pineapple
Beauty Icon

@foodvslipstick Hi! Great advice you got from @Ashli. Can you tell us what products you've tried and don't work for you?

I do tend to get spots on my period, my skin doesn't really get too dry but what I can recommend for you to try is the Waso Beauty Sleeping Gel Face Mask 80Ml - Shiseido. It works amazing for my oily skin and just as good for my partner's really dry skin, I think you may just love it Smiley Happy.

Another thing, which I personally find to make the biggest difference is drinking more water and cutting out sugar and dairy. Your skin will thank you for it, the bonus is this actually makes my periods less painful as well! xx

MiaL
Multimasker

I agree with both @Ashli and @Pineapple. For prevention, plenty of water but less sugar and alcohol is immensely helpful. For when the spots actually appear, I swear by salicylic acid. You can use it all over your face or just on the spots themselves, The Ordinary do a salicylic acid serum for about £5. Just remember to use sunscreen when you’ve used salicylic acid as it makes your skin more sensitive to the sun. Good luck!

Beautyblade
Getting Lippy

Hi

I have suffered with period breakouts for years and it's not just limited to your younger years. I have found for me that when it's about a week to 10 day before my period is when my skin starts to change its behaviour. It gets oilier, tone and texture changes as well as becoming more sensitive. So timing on when you adapt your routine I would say is key.

I personally have to stay away from harsh ingredients as that can cause intense drying and irritation.  

Salicylic Acid in products is good and I use in may regular routine. I also turn to a Glycolic Acid wash for the evening to ensure the skin is thoroughly cleansed during the preperiod period. Nip and fab glycolic face wash

Don't skimp on Moisturiser but turn to light/gel based with hyaluronic acid. This has really made a difference to my skin. #loreal hydra genius .  Use aloe vera gel or aloe based Moisturiser for calming and soothing as I agree you can get that horrible feeling in your skin that all you want to do is scratch your face off.

Kaolin Clay face mask  also helps a good one I've used that doesn't break the bank is #L'Oreal 3 clay charcoal detox mask it also has morroccan lava clay in it.

Hope this helps

Priya_13
High Brow

@foodvslipstick hormonal break outs are a pain.  Just maintain a good skin care routine and drink lots of water.  I use sudocream (nappy cream basically) onto spots overnight and within a few days they have usually disappeared. It dries out the spots and heals the skin.  

foodvslipstick
Getting Lippy

Thank you all @Ashli @Pineapple @MiaL @Beautyblade @Priya_13

It was so helpful and now I know something new. I usually drink a lot of water and I love to use simple or natural moisturizing face cream only, not serum or so many masks.

But now I'd love to try some products you suggest me and I hope that the next period will be more pleasant...in the way it can be so!

Heart

MiaL
Multimasker

You’re very welcome, I hope something helps! @foodvslipstick

SavitaM
Multimasker

Hi @foodvslipstick I’ve been in this same situation for years too! I tend to increase my green foods, basically vegetables, and decrease my caffeine and sugary and fried foods (no matter how much I crave them). This helps with keeping the breakouts to a minimum. I also use a glycolic toner and Blemish Remedy Anti-Imperfection Treatment Gel Cleanser 125Ml - bareMinerals. It really does help with oil control. I would see the doctor if it gets too much 🙂

foodvslipstick
Getting Lippy

Thank you very much @SavitaM !

I usually cook my meals and I love to eat a lot of vegetables, but now that you are giving me a lot of good recommendations, I'll be more careful during my pre-period time!

I'll be happy to go to Debenhams to test some of the products you suggested me and choose the perfect one for me!

Thank you again Heart