cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting out plastic in your beauty regime

Elle18
Total Glossip

I wondered if anyone has started to stop using bottled/plastic items and exchanged them for other things at all?

One thing I have been doing is using shampoo bars from lush instead of your ordinary bottled. So lush do an amazing range of shampoo bars. They look like a bar of soap but lather up so well and wash your hair with natural products. Because the bars last 3 times longer than natural shampoo by purchasing just one you are in fact saving the use of 3 bottles.

Add a conditioning bar in and boom there’s another couple.

Has anyone else used these?

Wouldn't it be amazing if @debenhams did like shampoo or beauty refill dispensers or something like that where you could take your own pot and fill up?! similar to the grocery stores when you can fill up with beans etc.

img_0780.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Cutting out plastic in your beauty regime

DJMcCumiskey
Beauty Icon

I haven't really...I have a couple of things in glass bottles, but my cleanser, moisturiser etc are still in plastic bottles, as are my shampoos etc.  I tried shampoo bars from Lush and others places, but just didn't like them, and prefer a liquid. 

I still buy shower gel for my husband, and I use it sometimes, but I have switched to a bar of soap, so I suppose I have cut down in a way, but I haven't really made a conscious effort to tbh.  

Elle18
Total Glossip

it is really hard isn't it @DJMcCumiskey

I guess all we can do it try. I am totally on board with the bags side of things. 

I have a 8 month old and the thought of not using wipes or normal nappies leaves me in a sweaty panic haha x

DJMcCumiskey
Beauty Icon

It is hard @Elle18  Like you say, if manufacturers did a refill service (some do I think?) it would be a lot better.  I'd also love it if a lot of my cosmetics and toiletries came in glass containers too, as I much prefer them and as well as being better for the environment AND us, they also look better, more classier too!  

Fiona_Jayne
Nailing It

How do you find the bars? I'd be happy to use them but worry they're not as effective as the liquids

Elle18
Total Glossip

The bars are for sale in Lush @Fiona_Jayne Smiley Happy

Elle18
Total Glossip

Exactly @DJMcCumiskey ! Even glass would be a lot better but I guess the industry of plastic is just too great! Hopefully one day!

Jam
Fresh Face

The thing that would stop a consumer like me from buying from refill stations is how would I know the best before date? How would the retailer ensure that it’s not contaminated or destroyed by heat and so on. I imagine it might need extra manpower tooy. It must also cost and have its own carbon footprint if stores introduce this concept of refill so I imagine that’s why it’s not common. I do love the naked shampoo bar concept but soap bars are just not right for me. Where I love something I buy it in big bottles or glass bottles and from brands that have ethics I like

Elle18
Total Glossip

Thats very true I never thought of it like that!

I must say I am not a fan of hand soap bars either- I think they harbour a lot of germs, however, the lush shampoo and conditioner are a massive win.

I am going to try and look for more glass jars.

Carex hand soap hand recently started doing refill bags, the bags are recyclable and they hold 2 bottles worth I believe @Jam

Highlighted

Mrscrowler
Total Glossip

@Elle18 It’s hard to switch when you find your perfect products but they are in plastic Smiley Sad it’s always something I consider when making purchases but I do have very sensitive hair/skin and have to use certain products... I just hope that more companies are researching better ways to package for a brighter future x