cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Am I too old?

SmileyShazza
Multimasker

You know what they say - better late than never. 

Do some  research and find out what brands do ranges tailormade to your age range then pop in and pay them a visit in person. Most places are really helpful and can advise you on how to set up a good routine to benefit your skin care concerns and needs.

jacqui-g
Fresh Face

Definitely not too old! As we get older our skin does get drier at some point, even if yours hasn't yet (lucky you!). If you don't need a heavy moisturiser try the more natural brands, which tend to have simpler ingredients, such as Jurlique and Origins. Alternatively, try a serum instead of a moisturiser. They're much lighter and you pick one that targets  the specific thing you want to deal with, like sensitivity, or brightening, or lifting. 

Einstein
Getting Lippy

I would never say someone is TOO OLD purely because people's skin changes differently (hormones, genes, environmental factors and also using damaging products).

I know people in their 20s who religiously use skin products and they have terrible skin: exceptionally damaged and far in excess of their birth age.

And conversely older people with great skin.

It's probably better to have never used skincare than to have used a harsh one everyday for years.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Hazeld
Getting Lippy

That's a wonderful idea. What a brilliant way to find out if you like something or not. I've never been up to a counter and asked for a free sample so do a lot of people do this?  I'd be very nervous in case they said no and I'd be very embarrassed.

Hazeld
Getting Lippy

Ok. I'll certainly have a look at this. It would never have occurred to me to have sun protection in the winter.

SilviaP
Going Pro

@Hazeld I only ask for samples if I need something in specific like skincare or foundation. You need to know if it works with your skin. Go to a counter and explain how your skin is and what you looking for and I'm sure the ladies will help you and they can even apply products on you. 

DJMcCumiskey
Beauty Icon

@Hazeld  It's never too late 😊  

Personally I don't subscribe to the 'best to start early' point of view, as I'm a firm believer that the majority of aging,  skin condition etc is down to first and foremost genetics, and then from lifestyle choices. 

You get get some people who religiously cleanse, tone and moisture for a very young age, and still age really badly, and then you get some who don't really have a skincare routine at all, and have the most beautiful skin.  

Ive recently started to use Kiehls products, and find they are good for my combination and sensitive skin.  

Debs1
Total Glossip

The best thing is to try the different counters at Debenhams and ask then to analyse your skin type.   They will give you a few samples to try at home. This will enable you to see which products suit your skin type the best. Sometimes you may think you have one particular skin type because you feel your skin is greasy, however it could be because your pores are clogged and you are not using the correct products for your skin type and the products cannot penetrate the underneath layers of your skin if it is congested. Your product will then sit on top of the epidermis and it appears greasy.  Sometimes it’s down to cleansing and exfoliating. So try several counters and see how you get on. I’m a huge fan of clarins and have been for years, however there are many other good products on the market. Hope you get sorted 💗

Highlighted

nico1410
Getting Lippy

Never too late - good for you!  Maybe a professional consultation at a Debenham's skincare counter to try a few to see which suit and try a few samples at home?

Angelbutton
Winging It

I agree that it is never too late. After decades I’m still improving my routine through a process of trial and error. I believe the ideal regime is unique to the individual, and this is why communities like this will help you wade through the minefield of products.  My body and lips love solid cocoa butter. My neck enjoys a heavier more hydrating such as the night moisturiser produced by murad. I’m still working through the ideal for my face. My combination skin makes it more complex. It also varies so much with the climate.